Disaster Mental Health
This page contains most all disaster-related links and materials available at this site. Here, you'll find mental health handouts as well as links to external disaster web sites, disaster mental health guides, and other informative materials useful in assisting disaster victims.
Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 Fragments Impact Jupiter
Some disaster victims do need additional attention from a professional therapist, but most will not. Much of the initial mental health disaster response involves two primary goals:
(1) normalizing feelings: reassuring victims that the strange and upsetting feelings they experience after a disaster (as following other traumatic events) are normal -- given what happened -- and (2) helping victms find effective ways of coping with their ongoing stress.
I hope the following handouts will assist in this educational process. At least, on Earth...
The first fourteen information sheets below were collected during my previous experience in disaster mental health assistance, and from generous colleagues. Many of these handouts came to me during the Northridge California earthquake in early 1994. For this listing, I selected handouts that seem broadly useful and generic across disaster type.
As far as I know, none of the 14 internal documents in this section are copyright. They may be used in the service of mental health disaster assistance provided authorship credit is given (where known), and no fee is charged to any recipients. For that purpose, please feel free to download any sheets that appear useful. You should be able to save or capture individual files to disk, but just how you do this depends some on your browser. Or, you can download the entire set in zipped text format. Additional disaster materials residing external to this site follow the internal documents. Please follow the copyright and usage guidelines as posted on these files by their authors.
Photo: Thomas Franklin
A separate section lists links to web sites focused on disasters and disaster responses, including current disasters. These sites are copyright by their authors, of course. Please also have a look at the general support information and web links on separate pages. For example, many of the Supportive Information links on Page 4, as well as several sites in other sections, have information particularly relevant to trauma victims and disaster workers.
Feel free to email your comments or suggestions. I would particularly appreciate hearing from anyone with additional materials to contribute to this collection, or from anyone knowing of any documents that should be removed from this site. Enjoy!
Disaster Mental Health Handouts
The following cache of 14 disaster handouts residing at this site is categorized into material for Adult Victims, Families & Child Victims, and Disaster Workers & their Families.
Two separate sections of external disaster materials follows these 14 handouts: The first, added following the September 2001 terrorist attacks on World Trade Center and the Pentagon, focuses primarily on terrorist attacks. The second section of external disaster materials focuses more generally on disasters. All may be useful, since all address emotional and mental health issues commonly faced by disaster victims.
- Victim Emotional Health
- Emotional health issues for victims, from the American Red Cross.
- Warning Signs
- Warning signs of trauma-related stress, from the American Psychological Association.
- Critical Incident
- Critical incident stress information sheet, from Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
- Normalizing Emotions
- You are not alone! description of normal emotions following a disaster, from the American Red Cross.
- Building Safety
- Reducing fear about building safety, by Dan Friedman, American Society of Home Inspectors.
- Coping Suggestions
- Coping suggestions, from Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
- Steps to Take
- After a disaster: Steps you can take, from Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
Families and Child Victims
- Family Coping
- Coping suggestions for families, from the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health.
- Helping Children after a Disaster
- Child behaviors to watch and suggestions to help, by the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry.
- Helping Children Cope
- Helping children cope with disaster, from FEMA and the American Red Cross.
- Children's Reactions
- Children's reactions to disaster; author unknown.
- Talking with Children about the Bombing
- Suggestions for parents or other adults about what to tell children about terrorist bombings, by Eitan Schwartz MD.
Disaster Workers and Their Families
- Worker's Emotional Health
- Emotional health issues for disaster workers, from the American Red Cross.
- Worker Family's Emotional Health
- Emotional health issues for families of disaster workers, from the American Red Cross.
Additional (External) Disaster Materials for Adults, Children, and Families
- First Aid Advice
- From St John Ambulance: written & spoken basic first aid advice; e.g., rescue breaths, CPR, burns, bleeding, shock, etc.
- Emergency Preparedness: Disaster Mental Health Resources
- A collection of disaster mental health resources from the CDC, covering: coping with disaster, children & teens, and for responders.
- Red Cross PDF on Tsunamis
- PDF information page on Tsunamis, from the American Red Cross (and affiliated agencies).
- NC-PTSD: Tsunami Disaster
- Fact sheets on understanding disaster trauma, grief & death, and related information from the National Center for PTSD on Tsunamis.
- Disease Prevention Pamphlet
- Disease prevention information -- with images -- for tsunami disaster victims (in PDF format)
- Disease Prevention Information
- Disease prevention pamphlet -- primarily a table -- for tsunami relief workers (in PDF format).
- Tsunami Disaster: Health Information for Humanitarian Workers
- US CDC site lists areas affected, various health / injury risks & health recommendations, symptoms, and things to bring into the disaster area.
- Tsunami Mental Health Resources
- US CDC site collects mental health information for those directly impacted, relief workers, mental health professionals & the general public.
- Breaking Bad News by Telephone
- A guide and checklist (in PDF format) for breaking difficult news to victim next of kin via telephone, from the British Embassy in Thailand.
- Coping with Loss and Grief
- A brief PDF guide to comfort and guide people coping with the loss of loved ones and related grief, from the British Embassy in Thailand.
- Coping with a Natural Disaster
- PDF guide for people dealing with natural disaster: answers 5 common questions about responses to abnormal events; British Embassy in Thailand.
- Tsunami Psychological Help
- Dr Martin Winkler's comments regarding providing psychological help to victims of the recent Tsunami disaster, with links to other resources.
- Psychosocial issues re: Tsunami Help
- Collected comments for disaster workers offering help to various tsunami victim groups: women, separated children, media, in refugee camps, etc.
- Disaster Psychiatry: How to Cope
- A collection of disaster mental health resources presented by the Americian Psychiatry Association, with links to other resources.
- Coping with Disasters
- MedlinePlus: a list of news releases, divided into categories -- latest news; overviews; children, teenagers, seniors, etc.
- APA: What to Expect After Trauma
- Expectable reactions to trauma or disaster in children and adults, ways to cope, and guidelines for parents and teachers.
- Resources on Coping with Traumatic Events
- A list of links to resources related to coping with various traumatic events, including disasters, collected by the APA.
- Helping Survivors in the Wake of Disaster
- National PTSD Center handout summarizes how to help victims at the disaster site or in shelters.
- Hurricane-Related Distress
- Brief, practical, suggestions concerning how to handle the stress and anxiety of multiple hurricanes, by Charles Figley PhD.
- EMDR: Butterfly Hug
- Description of the Butterfly Hug, an easy-to-use EMDR-related intervention that may be helpful for calming disaster victims.
- FEMA for Kids
- FEMA site for children, includes sections for learning, preparing and connecting with others.
- Disaster Help for Parents and Children
- The Child Advocate site's collection of links re: disaster and trauma intervention; a starting point for helping children.
- Helping Children & Adolescents After a Disaster
- Several handouts and statements by the AACAP on understanding and helping kids after dissaters.
- KEN Publications Catalog
- Disaster Relief, Crisis Counseling, and other publications (and videos) available from KEN.
- Understanding & Coping with Traumatic Stress
- Headington Institute's modular self-study guide covers stress & humanitarian work, PTSD, and includes a self-test.
- After a Disaster: A Series of Publications
- Virginia Cooperative Extension presents several articles, focused on safety, food & water, stress, insurance, cleaning and roof repairs.
- A survivor-helping-survivor message site, not a professional mental health services site.
- Emotional First Aid
- Peter Levine's synopsis of do's & don'ts, psychological & physiological responses, and helpful responses -- useful after disaster.
Additional (External) Disaster Materials focused on Terrorist Attacks
- Fostering Resilience in Response to Terrorism
- A set of nine fact sheets, in PDF format, designed to assist psychologists seeking to foster resilience in a variety of populations.
- Helping America Cope
- A ~40 page PDF file, by Annette La Greca, focuses on coping with 911 attacks & anniverary reactions to these events.
- NIMH: Response to Terrorist Acts against America
- A collection of links on PTSD, depression, anxiety, and other resources that may be helpful following September attacks.
- Terrorism & Trauma: Professional Resources
- A collection of fact sheets and specialized resources for mental health professionals helping others after terrorist attacks.
- Helping Children & Adolescents Cope with Violence & Disasters
- An NIMH resource, updated after September 2001, discusses trauma and PTSD, how children respond, and how to help them.
- Recovery 911: World Trade Center Trauma
- Ed Schmookler's online book focuses on creating security amidst terror; guidelines for coping with PTSD from this attack.
- Coping with Sept. 11 Attacks -- For Sexual Abuse Survivors & People with Mental Health Problems
- Brief article by Kali Munro explores parallels between attacks and child sexual abuse; gives suggestions for how to cope.
- Terrorism: Trauma, Grief, and Recovery
- Kathleen Nader's article, written after the 11 September attacks, addresses psychological first aid, recognizing vulnerability, etc.
- Combating PTSD, Depression and Suicidal Thoughts
- Breif article by Stephen Bernhardt covers PTSD symptoms, depression and suicidal ideation, and lists coping strategies.
- Attack on the USA: CISM Information
- The ICISF's webpage focused on the September attack; includes handouts and articles on CISD & psychlogical debriefing.
- Terrorism and Children
- Fact sheet from the National Center for PTSD, on children's responses to trauma (by ages), and how parents can talk with them.
- APA: Helping Kids Cope with Terrorism
- Public education materials designed to help kids cope with recent terrorism, from the American Psychological Association.
- Tragic Times, Healing Words
- "Helping Childen Cope", by Sesame Street - Parents website. Includes how to respond to your child saying 'I'm scared!'.
- Coping With Disaster: Suggestions for Helping Children With Cognitive Disabilities
- A useful summary of what to expect in children's responses to disaster and loss & general strategies to promote coping.
- Crisis Resources
- The Guidance Channel's collection of nine helpful articles for parents or teachers talking with children about terrorist attacks.
Disaster Mental Health Guides
This section of links focuses on disaster mental health (DMH) guides that may be useful for emergency workers working with individuals in disaster situations. DMH guides focus on mental health issues pertinent in disaster situations, but may also be useful in working with any individual in crisis.
A separate section of links collects PTSD treatment guidelines (for PTSD, acute stress, and dissociative disorders). While the PTSD treatment guides may be of primary interest to clinicians working with traumatic stress disorders, they can be helpful for some individuals in disaster areas as well. Therefore, the PTSD treatment guides page is the first link in this section.
- PTSD Treatment Guides
- Collected treatment guidelines, for Acute Stress Disorder, PTSD & Dissociation - may be relevant in disaster mental health situations.
- Trauma Treatment Manual
- Ed Schmookler's excellent treatment manual, initially written for Bosnia, applies to most disasters. Now posted at this site.
- Disaster Mental Health Guidebook
- Full text of an excellent disaster mental health manual for clinicians and administrators, by several noted authors.
- Draft Guidelines for International Trauma Training
- ISTSS' Taskforce on International Trauma Training: draft guidelines for mental health professionals who train internationally.
- Treating Survivors in the Acute Aftermath of Traumatic Events
- Dr. Arieh Shalev's PDF article discusses issues surrounding provision of early treatment for trauma (disaster) victims.
- Psychosocial Issues for Children and Families in Disasters: a Guide For The Primary Care Physician
- This detailed guide, by the American Academy of Pediatrics' Work Group on Disasters, is written for family physicians.
- School Disaster: Planning & Initial Interventions
- Article by Kathi Nader and Robert Pynoos covers interventions for children, parents and staff.
- Community Crisis Response Team Training Manual
- Marlene Young's 1994 NOVA training guide for individuals and communities responding to crisis.
- DeWolfe's Training Manual
- A 156-page training manual, by Dr Deborah DeWolfe, for mental health and human service workers in major disasters (PDF file).
- DeWolfe's Field Manual
- A 40-page field manual, by Dr Deborah DeWolfe, for mental health and human service workers in major disasters (PDF file).
- Coping with Disaster: a Guidebook to Psychosocial Intervention
- John Ehrenreich's guide to help people cope with the emotional effects of disasters (requires PDF format).
- Eye of the Storm: Disaster Mental Health
- Extensive information about disaster mental health, written by John D. Weaver.
- Key Concepts of Disaster Mental Health
- Full text of the first chapter from a disaster response handbook, written by Diane Myers.
- Victims of Disasters: Helping People Recover
- Dr Parson's article on helping affected people recover from acute distress to healing and integration following a disaster.
- Children & Natural Disasters: A Guide for Teachers
- A guide written specifically for teachers dealing with children stressed by natural or other disasters.
- Psychosocial Issues for Older Adults in Disasters
- Written by William Oriol, this guide for health and mental health professionals is in PDF format.
- Family Assistance Plan for Aviation Disasters
- Index to the NTSB Family Assistance Plan for Aviation Disasters,provided as two separate HTML files.
- Guide to Talking About Disasters
- Red Cross guide assists those who may be providing disaster safety information to the public.
This section contains many links to disaster-related sites. Links concerning general disaster response are organized by scope or focus. Other links providing information about current or recent disasters follow them, and a rotating list of temporary links focused on specific current or recent disasters concludes this page. [Please check the Site Map to locate additional links available at this site.]
General Disaster Sites
Many organizations offer relief information and assistance to victims of trauma in disasters. Here are some links to the information available, separated into subsections by their predominant focus or scope (e.g., global, US, and foreign).
Global (Planetary) Disaster Monitoring and Relief
- Space Weather
- Science news and information about the Sun-Earth environment, including sun spots & asteroids.
- Global Warming Web Site
- EPA's global warming site offers information about science and impacts, quick facts, and links to similar sites.
- El NiOo
- This site monitors the El NiOo-Southern Oscillation, with monthly ocean temperature forecasts.
- NOAA's El NiOo Page
- NOAA's website on El NiOo includes basic information, current forecasts, and extensive data.
Disaster Agencies and Associations in the United States
- American Red Cross
- The home page of the American Red Cross.
- FEMA's home page
- The home page of the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
- Medical Reserve Corps
- US medical teams (some include mental health professionals) serve local communities & improve emergency preparedness.
- Pacific Disaster Center
- The PDC provides applied information for disaster management in Asia nad the Pacific region.
- Natural Hazards Center Home Page
- Information about human adaptation to disasters, from the Natural Hazards Center at U. Colorado, Boulder.
- Disaster Mental Health International
- Bruce Young's DMHI offers Emergency Mental Health Preparedness and Response Training Programs.
- K-9 Disaster Relief
- K-9 Mental Health Therapy provides comfort for victims and victim families, in conjunction with other trained professionals.
- ICES Disaster Resources
- Illinois Cooperative Extension Service excellent site includes a disaster guide and preparedness information.
International Disaster Agencies or Sites
- International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent
- Home page of the International Federation, with many links to European and other sites outside the US.
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- Home page of the International Committee of the Red Cross, with its own unique set of links.
- Relief Web
- ReliefWeb is a UN-sponsored project to serve the information needs of the humanitarian relief community.
- The Aberfan Disaster
- Historical and political analyses of the 1966 man-made disaster at Aberfan, in South Wales.
- WWW Virtual Library: Hazards & Risk
- This Australian site links to a wide range of information sources about disaster-related risks and hazards.
- Canadian Centre for Emergency Preparedness
- Canadian group publishes a news magazine for Emergency Managers and a weekly e-zine.
- Caribbean Disaster Emergency Response Agency
- CDERA's web site lists interesting links, as well as membership information and a calendar of events.
Preparation & Disaster Planning
- From Dept. of Homeland Security, this website encourages us to assemble a supply kit, a family plan, and to be informed.
- NC-PTSD: Psychosocial Consequences of Naturan Disasters in Developing Countries
- Article by Fran Norris: What Does Past Research Tell Us About Potential Effects of the 2004 Tsunami?
- Coordination of Agencies in Disaster Response
- PDF article by Dusty Bowenkamp (2000) on coordinating mental health and community agencies in disaster response situations.
- Preparing for the Psychological Consequences of Terrorism
- Online book (in PDF format) presents a public health strategy preparing for psychological consequences of terrorist attacks.
- Homeland Defense Journal
- An online journal of news and information to assist in preparations for terrorist attacks; a print version is also available.
- DKMS: Resilience Network
- Disaster Knowledge Management System resilience network blog site on disaster preparedness issues.
- The Sphere Handbook
- The Sphere (online) Handbook, a project of WHO, aims to improve the quality of assistance given to people affected by disasters.
- ALNAP: Active Learning Network for Accountability & Performance
- ALNAP works to improve learning and quality across the Humanitarian Sector: site has an Evaluative Reports Database.
- Contingency Planning and Disaster Recovery
- Web collection of plans for various kinds of disasters, such as earthquakes or tsunamis, and related information.
- Emergency Preparedness Information Center
- This Seattle commercial page gives detailed information about preparing for a disaster, and offers related products.
- The Disaster Handbook
- A PDF file to help Extension Agents provide immediate assistance and information before & after natural disasters.
Medical & Mental Health Education
- Sphere Handbook: Health Services
- Chapter 5 of the online Sphere Handbook sets minimum standards, indicators, & guidance for providing health services in disasters.
- Green Cross Foundation
- Home page of trauma therapists who volunteer to assist disaster victims and those who support them.
- Disaster Mental Health Institute
- DMHI at University of South Dakota offers training in disaster mental health topics.
- Mental Health Workers Without Borders
- MHWWB is a network of mental health workers, providing assistance for natural and man-made disasters.
- Disaster Mental Health
- O'Dochartaigh Associates' links to disaster mental health references and resources.
- Emergency Management Gold
- Extensive site, including link library, created by a certified Emergency Manager for other professionals.
- Emergency Medical Services for Children
- EMSC seeks to ensure that the entire spectrum of emergency services are provided to children & adolescents.
- An Evaluation of Humour in Emergency Work
- Article identifies humor as a coping strategy contributing to emergency workers' adjustment to difficult situations.
- Mediccom.Org's Web BBS
- Links to emergency medicine sites, as well as articles and interactive chat about disaster topics.
- RESCUE: Training Resource & Guide
- Australian website provides information about several different types of emergency services.
- Victoria State Emergency Service
- Website of a large Australian emergency service organization, in the state of Victoria
Business Continuity after a Disaster
- Disaster Recovery Guide
- Disaster Recovery Guide offers information, guidance, tips & links for those seeking help with business continuity planning.
- Disaster Recovery Community Forum
- Disaster Recovery Community Forum offers interactive information for those with responsibility for disaster recovery planning.
- Disaster Recovery Plan Template
- MS-Word template for business continuity following disaster; Sarbanes-Oxley & HIPAA compliant.
- Disaster Resource Guide
- Online information includes aritcles and other resources to facilitate business continuity after a disaster.
- Disaster Recovery Journal
- Articles, products, subscription information, and links to other sites specializing in disaster contingency planning.
- Web site of the British Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Group.
- This web site is focused on news and views relating to risk assessment and risk management.
- Global Continuity
- "A global portal for business continuity management" -- extensive site has news and services.
- Rothstein Catalog on Disaster Recovery
- Online catalog of videos and other products of particular interest to the disaster recovery industry.
- PASE Inc.
- PASE offers products, training and consulting for post-disaster business continuity.
Current Disasters: Natural or Man-Made
A collection of links to updated information about current disaster(s), followed by sites concentrating on specific recent disasters. These links are updated periodically. Links in this section focus on breaking news and current disasters:
News Media Sites
- Google News
- Google compiles information on breaking news events, using ~4500 continuously updated news sources.
- The Command Post
- The Command Post is a centralized source of blogs about breaking news events, organized by topic.
- CNN Interactive News
- Excellent, up-to-the-minute news coverage of breaking stories. Updated hourly.
- ABC News Online
- Current "live" news available online, including hourly updates from ABC News Radio.
- Public Broadcasting Service
- PBS online; searchable news site.
- National Public Radio
- NPR website; NPR has won every major award in journalism for news and cultural programming in America.
- New York Times on the Web
- The NYTimes online edition includes a local search engine.
- Washington Post
- The Washington Post's online edition.
- Los Angeles Times
- The LA Times newspaper online: search engine allows easy access to all current information.
- The London Times
- The Times of London newspaper website -- authoritative, searchable and current information.
- The Australian
- The Australian, a major national newspaper in Australia.
- The British Broadcasting Corporation website.
- Reuters news service website.
- The Hindu
- Online edition of India's national newspaper.
- Indonesia News
- Indonesian News website.
- Phuket Gazette
- Local Thai newpaper, in English -- has detailed information about the tsunami disaster in Thailand.
- Independent Media Center
- Indymedia is a collective of independent media organizations & journalists, offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage.
- Al Jazeera
- English-language website of the Al Jazeera Television & Middle East News.
- Palestine News Agency
- Perspective of the Palestine News Agency (in English) on current events affecting the middle east.
- USENET: clari.news.trouble.disaster
- Clarinet News Service compilation of wire service reports on current disasters or troubles.
- News, TV Radio & other Media in the Middle East
- Middle East Network Information Center provides links to newpaper and media sources in various countries in the middle east.
- NewsMax.Com: America's News Page
- A current collection of topical news stories from various sources.
- AJR's NewsLink
- American Journalism Review's news link site links to ~5000 US newspapers' online editions, by state.
Current Disaster Sites
- Internet Disaster Information Center
- This site lists current and archived disaster-related information by category: earthquakes, fires, terrorism, etc.
- TopoZone: Interactive Topographical Maps
- Enter any US place name and state, hit search, and you'll see the topgraphical map for that area.
- EarthWatch: Weather on Demand
- Just enter zip code, city or state information to see storm and weather forecasts for that area.
- Interactive Weather Information Network
- US National Weather Service site shows live images and active warnings of weather disasters.
- Aviation Safety Network
- Detailed and current information regarding aviation safety, air crashes, fatal accidents, etc.
- National Transportation Safety Board
- The NTSB website may contain information about aviation or other transportation disasters.
- AirSafe's useful information for travelers will include current information about recent air crashes.
- APA Topics: Natural Disasters
- American Psychological Association webpage offers current disaster-related information.
- Emergency Email & Wireless Network
- Provides secure and expedient notification of emergencies -- locally to internationally.
Specific Natural Disasters
A changing collection of sites with information about current or recent natural disaster(s). These links are updated periodically.
Specific Man-Made Disasters
A changing collection of sites with information about current or recent man-made disaster(s). These links are updated periodically.
Man-Made Disasters: September 2001 Terrorist Attack on World Trade Center & Pentagon
- CameraPlanet: 911 Video Archive
- World's largest collection of video about 911 attacks on the World Trade Center.
- The 9/11 Commission Report
- Full text of the final report of the 9/11 Commission, re: events of September 11th 2001 (in PDF format).
- The September 11 Web Archive
- Search web content related to the terrorist attacks; a collaboration between Library of Congress, Internet Archive & webArchivist.org.
- One year later: September 11 and the Internet
- Report (in PDF format) by the Pew Research Center, focused on internet and web responses to September 11th.
- September Eleven
- This site's purpose is to offer a place to pray, share personal stories and insights, and promote healing and understanding.
- 9/11 Mental Health and Substance Abuse Program
- American Red Cross program offers financial assistance with the cost of counseling for those directly affected by the 9/11 attacks.
- Rescue Workers Online
- A website designed to provide information & resources to Rescue Workers who served at the World Trade Center, Pentagon & Pennsylvania Crash sites.
- World Trade Center and Pentagon Information
- A collection of official lists of survivors, tenants, and victims, relating to both WTC and Pentagon disaster sites.
- Children and Trauma: Reflections on the World Trade Center Disaster
- A collection of links to resources, news reports, and some thoughts on coping with the terrorist attacks, by Michael Fenichel.
- VA NY/NJ Veterans Healthcare Network
- Trauma Services available for veterans in the NYC & NJ areas, provided by the Veterans Healthcare Network in New York.
- Academic Info: Terrorist Attack on the United States
- This section of the Academic Info site focuses on news, government, and other resources about the 11 September attack.
- After September 11: Perspectives from the Social Sciences
- A collection of essays by social scientists, bringing theoretical and empirical knowledge to bear on the events of Sept. 11.
Man-Made Disasters: Wars
- American Refugee Committee
- ARC works for the survival and well-being of refugees and displaced persons affected by war.
- Resources for Therapists, Clients, & Others Affected by War
- Links to a variety of resources that may be helpful to therapists, clients, and others affected by war -- many online.
- Planting Seeds Community Awareness Project
- Website by a group of people collectively working for non-violent social change.
- Healing Trauma: Activists' Site
- A space for people in activist communities who have faced trauma in actions; explores issues of mental health for activists.
- Children and War Foundation
- The Children and War Foundation was created to gather knowledge & improve care of children affected by war or disaster.
- War Child Home Page
- War Child aims to alleviate suffering of children in war zones by providing aid, funding, and awareness.
- Afghanistan Archive
- Website provides a detailed compendium of current articles from a wide variety of sources, all about Afghanistan.
- Maps of Afghanistan
- From the Perry-CastaOeda Library Map Collection at University of Texas: scores of maps of Afghanistan.
- History of Yugoslavia & The Balkans
- BBC website includes timeline of key events affecting Kosovo, borders, etc., in a troubled region.
- Human Rights Watch: Kosovo
- HRW website focuses on human rights issues; it includes "flash" reports, photos, and background.
- Serbia Info News / Kosovo & Metohia
- This website offers a different perspective on the war, from a Serbian perspective.
- Bosnia's Death Highway
- Danica Anderson's "personal story of trauma work, compassion fatigue, and hope" working as a trauma therapist in Bosnia.
- On Neutrality in a War Zone
- Clay Foreman explores adaptation of civilian police practices in a civil war (in former Yugoslavia).
- AAAS News Release on Torture.
- AAAS forum explores whether the US tortures prisoners.
Man-Made Disasters: Terrorism & Terrorist Organizations
- Terrorism Research Center
- The TRC is dedicated to informing the public about terrorism and information warfare; includes September attack.
- Public Agenda: Terrorism
- Public Agenda's webpage on terrorism: lists of countries that support terrorism, links to special reports, related issues, etc.
- International Policy Institute for Counter Terrorism
- ICT website focuses on counter terrorism; includes current news updates and several articles on bin Ladin & al-Qaida.
- Academic Info: Afghanistan Studies
- This section of the Academic Info site focuses on the Taliban, bin Ladin, Al-Quida, Women in Afghanistan, etc.
- PBS Frontline: 'Hunting bin Ladin'
- Extensive information from a PBS documentary program about bin Ladin; includes interview, text & videos.
- Taliban and Afghanistan Web Links
- From United States Institute of Peace Library: collected web links to general resources, maps, media, and Islamic studies.
- US State Department: Building a Global Effort Against Terrorism
- US State Department website on the September attack: official statements & informative links to other government resources.
- Islamic Studies, Islam, Arabic & Religion
- Dr. Alan Godlas' website at University of Georgia provides a scholarly overview of Islam and related subjects.
Man-Made Disasters: Bio-terrorism (Anthrax, etc.)
- Center for Disease Control: Bioterrorism Page
- CDC's public health emergency preparedness & response page includes Anthrax information and other bioterrorism resources.
- Mental Health of Populations Exposed to Biological and Chemical Weapons
- A PDF from WHO recommends specific mental health interventions for both acute and post-emergency phases of response.
- The Anthrax Cases
- Ed Lake's detailed and thoughtful analysis of the anthrax cases -- with photos, a map, references, etc.
- Center for Infectious Disease
- CIDRAP's website at the University of Minnesota includes a bioterrorism watch, and information about food safety.
- The Bioterrorism Threat
- This PBS online news report summarizes current information concerning bioterrorism, some in real audio.
- Anthrax Infection
- Detailed medical article on anthrax by Drs. Hilarie Cranmer and Mauricio Martinez, from eMedicine Journal, October 2001.
- Center for the Study of Bioterrorism & Emerging Infections
- CSB&EI at Saint Louis University offers information on bioterrorism agents, how to handle mail, and online training tools.
- LA Public Health: Bioterrorism Preparedness & Response
- Current information from Los Angeles Public Health Department, on bioterrorism, anthrax, mail handling, FAQ, etc.
- Hardin MD: Bioterrorism & Biological Warfare
- Hardin MD "focus page" listing of current web resources on bioterrorism, biological warfare, anthrax, smallpox, etc.
- Bioterrorism: Homeland Defense
- Executive summary (in PDF format) of a Rand symposium on bioterrorism and the next steps in defense against it.
- Biological Terrorism and Warfare: not sci-fi any longer
- Dr. Thomas Cross' article for pediatricians discusses biological warfare and lets them know how to respond to parental concerns.
Man-Made Disasters: School Shootings (e.g., Thurston & Columbine)
Note that much general information on children, trauma, grief, etc. is available throughout this site, especially on the Trauma & Support Pages, this page, & the Trauma Links page. A section of more general links on School Violence (and its prevention) have been added to Trauma Links page.
- 'The Killer at Thurston High'
- Synopsis, summarizing the PBS Frontline program on Kip Kinkel (aired 18 Jan 2000).
- "Bang Bang You're Dead"
- Script of William Mastrosimone's play dealing with shooting consequences, freely available.
- The Lane
- Search about one thousand local Eugene-Springfield community agencies for services and assistance.
- Remember Columbine High 20 April 1999
- Memorial site for the students killed and injured at Columbine, with links to resources and other sites.
- Talking with Young Children about the Colorado School Shooting
- Brief article by Dr. Susan Linn, helping parents talk with their children about this tragedy.