This collection of external links reaches sites with additional information on research aspects of PTSD, research psychology and cognitive neuroscience, psychoneuroimmunology, research methods, and medical topics closely related to trauma. While I'd certainly appreciate hearing of any suggestions for oustanding new and pertinent sites, this site will focus tightly only on trauma-related issues. Feel free to email any comments or suggestions.
PTSD & Neuroscience
Websites concerned with traumatic-stress, PTSD, and childhood trauma (including school violence). You'll also find sites focused on psychophysiology & emotion, temperament & personality, evolution, and cognitive neuroscience. Research and clinical aspects of traumatic stress are included here, while more supportive and clinical information is available on the Support Page.
Trauma & PTSD Organizations
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- ISTSS (see description on the Resources Page)
is one of the international professional organizations in this field.
- National Center for PTSD
- This site has information about the seven divisions making up the VA's National Center for PTSD, and on various aspects of PTSD.
- The PTSD Alliance
- An alliance of several professional and advocacy organizations, seeking to educate individuals diagnosed with PTSD.
- Australasian Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- ASTSS hosted the third world trauma conference in Melbourne, Australia, in March 2000.
- European Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- The ESTSS website includes society bulletins, conference report, and European trauma links.
UK Psychological Trauma Society
This British site provides information on trauma and on the various
traumatic stress reactions, including PTSD.
- Trauma Clinic, London
- Website for Dr. Stuart Turner's Trauma Clinic, in London, with information on trauma and traumatic-stress reactions.
- The Traumatic Stress Centre (Wales)
- Trauma website in Wales includes information about services, and a PDF book-length
- American Psychological Association's Trauma Psychology Division
- Division 56, the newest division of the APA, is focused solely on trauma psychology.
- European Society for Trauma and Dissociation
- ESTD aims to increase knowledge of all disorders related to chronic traumatization.
- Australian Centre for Posttraumatic Mental Health
- Australian site offers PTSD information, as well as resources, links, and treatment.
- Canadian Foundation for Trauma Research & Education
- CFTRE, in Vancouver BC, is committed to conduct research & train professionals in effectively treating people who suffer trauma symptoms.
- Trauma Intervention Programs, Inc.
- TIP establishes chapters of volunteers who provide support to emotionally traumatized citizens immediately after tragedy.
Trauma & PTSD Individuals
Michael Anderson, PhD
- Dr. Anderson's Lab at Cambridge focuses on fundamental memory
mechanisms, including the supression of unwanted traumatic memories.
- Sandra Bloom, MD
- Dr. Bloom (& colleagues) developed the Sanctuary Model to meet the complex problems presented by trauma survivors.
- Chris Brewin, PhD
- Dr. Brewin, at University College London, researches memory in relation to psychological problems such as depression & PTSD.
- John Briere, PhD
- Dr. Briere has written extensively on PTSD issues, and is assembling an excellent website.
- Laura Brown, PhD
- Dr. Brown writes, trains and speaks on feminist therapy theory & practice, trauma & memory, diversity, and psychological assessment.
- Charles Figley, PhD
- Dr. Figley founded ISTSS, the Traumatic-Stress forum, & Traumatology-e, an electronic journal.
He is at
- Jennifer Freyd, PhD
- Dr. Freyd's Lab at University of Oregon focuses on betrayal trauma theory;
some full-text articles are available.
- Pierre Janet
- A website in honor of Pierre Janet (1859 - 1947), with biographical and bibliographic information (currently in French).
- Autobiography of Pierre Janet
- Autobiographical account, published in 1930, summarizes Janet's thinking and clinical studies in psychopathology.
- Andrew Leeds, PhD
- Andrew Leeds, a profesional trainer for EMDR, also presents clinical workshops on affect, attachment & self-regulation.
- Ian & Barb Macnaughton
- Ian and Barb Macnaughton's Neurofeedback Center is in Vancouver BC.
- Ellert Nijenhuis, PhD
- Dr. Ellert Nijenhuis' website includes his SDQ & TEC scales, publications & abstracts, news, and contact information.
- Stephen Porges, PhD
- Dr. Porges studies neurobiological approaches to social behavior,
particularly the importance of the vagal nerve.
- Center for Trauma Recovery
- This center, at University of Missouri at St. Louis, is home to Patricia Resick, Michael Griffin, and others.
The Rivers Centre
- Named after WHR Rivers, this Scottish center offers treatment for acute or prolonged stress reactions, including PTSD.
- Robert Scaer, MD
- Dr. Scaer's Trauma Soma website includes excerpts from his books, an events calendar, and contact information.
- Fredric Schiffer, MD
- Dr. Schiffer's site describes his book, Of Two Minds, and lists several full-text articles on his novel treatment approach.
- Raja Selvam, PhD
- Dr. Selvam's Trauma Vidya site describes his trauma first aid work in Tamil Nadu, India.
- Dan Siegel, MD
- Dr. Seigel brings a developmental approach to the interface of relationships and biological processes.
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress
- Dr. Robert Ursano's CSTS website, at the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences.
- Paul Valent
- Dr. Valent is an Australian working with Holocaust and other trauma survivors; see publications &
survival strategies table.
- Onno van der Hart, PhD
- Dr. Van der Hart's site includes full-text articles, as well as information about books & other links.
- Bessel van der Kolk, MD
- Dr. Van der Kolk's Trauma Center is in Massachusetts.
Mount Sinai Traumatic Stress Studies Program
- Dr. Rachel Yehuda, Professor of Psychiatry at Mt. Sinai in NYC, directs their Traumatic Stress Studies Program.
Trauma & PTSD Education
- MIT: OpenCourseWare
- MIT's OCW is a free and open educational resource for faculty, students, and self-learners around the world -- 700 courses.
- Webcast Berkeley: online courses & speakers at UC Berkeley
- UC Berkeley courses and speakers, available via webcast or podcast.
Culture: Free Online Classes
- Open Culture offers free cultural and educational media, including
online classes from various universities.
- International Trauma Studies Program
- Now at Columbia University, ITSP offers certificate programs in both international & domestic trauma studies.
Naropa University: Somatic
- Naropa University (in Boulder, CO) offers a masters program in Somatic
Readings on Trauma & PTSD
- PTSD Research Quarterly
- A part of the National PTSD Center site, this lists recent issues of the PTSD Research Quarterly, including
Trauma Update Online
- Similar list of clinical articles (in PDF format) from the National PTSD Center.
- Peniston-Kulkosky Brainwave Neurofeedback Protocol...
- Full text article by Eugene Peniston on use of EEG biofeedback alpha-theta training as treatment for PTSD and alcoholism.
- Cannon (1942/1957). "Voodoo" death.
- Walter Cannon's seminal article on death through the shock of terror.
- Exploring the Nature of Traumatic Memory
- PDF article by Jim Hopper & Bessel van der Kolk (2001) on combining clinical knowledge with laborary methods.
- Retrieving, Assessing, and Classifying Traumatic Memories
- PDF article by Jim Hopper & Bessel van der Kolk (2001) introduces a standardized method for retrieving traumatic memories.
- Van der Kolk & Saporta (1991)
- Early article on "Biological response to psychic trauma: mechanisms and treatment of intrusion and numbing".
- Preface from Traumatic Stress:... edited by van der Kolk, McFarlane & Weisaeth (1996)
- Preface text provides an overview to Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body and Society.
- Reflections on The Problem of Psychic Trauma
- Full-text 1986 article by Clifford Yorke, published in the Psychoanalytic Study of the Child.
Children & Trauma
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network
- NCTSN's mission is to raise the standard of care and improve access to services for traumatized children...
- The Decline in Child Sexual Abuse Cases.
- Online report by Jones & Finkelhor (2001) describes declines in reported CSA, and discusses possible factors.
- Recovered Memories of Sexual Abuse: Research and Resources
- Jim Hopper has collected scientific and scholarly material relating to amnesia for childhood sexual abuse and dissociation.
- The ChildTrauma Academy
- Bruce Perry's website, dedicated to clinical, research and legal approaches to solving problems of childhood trauma.
- The Child Survivor of Traumatic Stress [newsletter]
- Kenneth Fletcher's electronic version of a newsletter for professionals working with childhood PTSD.
- Child Trauma Institute
- Ricky Greenwald's site includes parent information, trauma measures, publications, training programs & links.
- Mental Health for Youth in Armed Conflict
- Two lengthy articles focused on play therapy interventions for children in war zones (Croatia, Cambodia).
- Stress, Trauma and Sleep in Children
- Full-text article by Avi Sadeh reviews literature on effects of trauma and stress on childrenis sleep patterns; 89 references.
- Emerson Training Seminars
- William Emerson's website is focused on birth trauma, and its consequences throughout the life-span.
- Raindrop: Death Education for Children of all Ages
- Terry Beard's novel and interesting site is like a child's picture book about death -- uses a "raindrop" metaphor.
- Using Drawing as Intervention with Traumatized Children
- Article by Cathy Malchiodi (2001) describes drawing as an intervention with children who have experienced trauma or loss.
- Child Abuse Prevention Network
- A national collaborative project (formerly at Cornell University); good links to sites on child abuse and prevention.
Psychophysiology & Emotion
- John J.B. Allen
- John Allen's psychophysiology lab at Arizona studies EEGs and autonomic measures to understand interesting phenomena.
- John Cacioppo, at University of Chicago, focuses on neural processes associated with social
neuroscience and psychological functions.
- Laboratory for Affective Neuroscience
- Richard Davidson's lab at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Lists bibliography and current projects.
- Paul Ekman, PhD
- Paul Ekman studies facial expressions, emotions, and deception.
- Michael Fanselow's Lab
- Michael Fanselow, at UCLA, is interested in the nature and function of fear.
- James McGaugh
- McGaugh's Center for the Neurobiology of Learning & Memory (UC--Davis) studies processes underlying our ability to learn & remember.
- U of AZ: Anxiety Research Group
- Jake Jacobs likes empirical approaches to psychopatholoy; his research group focuses on
some aspects of anxiety disorders.
Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention
Peter Lang's lab at the University of Florida, funded by NIMH. Site lists
current research projects.
- LeDoux Lab Home Page
- Joseph LeDoux's lab at NYU, lists lab events, his recent book and publications on fear and traumatic memory.
- Bruce McEwen
- Several projects in Bruce McEwen's lab at Rockefeller University study the neuroendocrinology of stress, coping, and immunity.
- Philips' Respironics:
- Website offers biotelemetry systems for human physiological and behavioral monitoring.
- Facial Analysis
- This page offers a diverse set of links to sites concerned with aspects of facial expression or recognition analysis.
- Exploring Nonverbal Communication
- Dane Archer's site at UCSC tests your ability to read nonverbal cues and describes Archer's videos on this subject.
- Electrical Geodesics Inc.
- Dense sensor arrays facilitate dynamic neuroimaging of mental activity and behavior. (Don Tucker at University of Oregon).
- Low Resolution Brain Electromagnetic Tomography, from The KEY Institute for Brain-Mind Research, in Switzerland.
- Salimetrics provides field kits and a laboratory testing service for salivary biomarkers.
- Psychophysiology of Lucid Dreaming
- 1990 chapter by Stephen LeBerge describes psychophysiological studies of consciousness during REM sleep.
- American Physiological Society
- The APS website provides current, usable information to the physiological community.
- Society for Psychophysiological Research
- SPR fosters research relating to psychology and physiology. Site lists abstracts from SPR annual meeting.
- American Autonomic Society
- AAS is about the structure & function of the autonomic nervous system, as well as treating & preventing its disorders.
- International Society for Advancement of Respiratory Psychophysiology
- ISARP promotes knowledge of interrelationships between psychological and physiological aspects of respiration.
- International Society of Research on Emotion
- ISRE works to foster discussion & exchange information about new ideas on emotion.
- Solutions for Psychophysiological Research
- James Long assists psychophysiology researchers with consulting, custom software, hardware design, etc.
- Llinas: Thalamocortical Dysrhythmia
- Rodolfo Llinas' 1999 article, suggesting thalamocortical dysrhythmia is responsible for several neuropsychiatric conditions.
- Worldwide Psychophysiology Directory
- A comprehensive and useful list of psychophysiology labs around the world.
- HeartMath Report
- HeartMath's Report: developments in how thoughts & emotions affect health & performance.
Biofeedback, EEG & Neurotherapy
- Directory of Neurofeedback Practioners using NeuroCARE Pro
- This Directory lists providers by state within the US, Canada, and several other countries, using Zengar's NCP software.
- Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback
- Home page of the AAPB includes abstracts of new research, background information on biofeedback, and more.
- International Society for Neuronal Regulation
- The ISNR is an organization for professionals involved in neurofeedback training.
- Biofeedback Foundation of Europe
- BFE promotes awareness of biofeedback, and educates clinicians in using biofeedback through workshops.
- EEG & Clinical Neuroscience Society
- ECNS goal is to further the clinical practice of a variety of EEG methods for assessing brain function.
- Biofeedback Certification Institute of America
- BCIA establishes & maintains professional standards for biofeedback services, and certifies providers.
- Zengar Institute
- Drs. Val & Sue Brown offer workshops and online forums, as well as unique NeurOptimal (neurofeedback) software.
- Brian Othmer Foundation
- Dr. Siegfried & Sue Othmer's site includes articles, a FAQ, and advocacy for neuorfeedback treatment for a variety of disorders.
- Brainwave Frequency Listing
- A comprehensive listing of frequencies that various parties have claimed can affect the human mind or body in some way.
- Open EEG Project
- The OpenEEG project is about creating a low cost EEG device and free software to go with it.
- EEG Spectrum
- Corporation offers trainings in neurofeedback, and encourages clinical use of neurotherapy for a variety of disorders.
- Thought Technology, Ltd.
- Thought Technology also makes a full line of biofeedback equipment.
- Bio Research Institute
- Steve Wall's BRI developed and sells the Bio Integrator biofeedback instrument.
- Biocom Technologies
- Physiological monitoring equipment for the general public, medical and fitness & exercise markets.
- J & J Engineering
- J&J Engineering offers biofeedback equipment to measure EEG, Heart Rate Variability (HRV),etc.
- Stens Biofeedback
- Stens Corporation, a supplier of biofeedback technology, offers both training and biofeedback systems.
- A portable device, StressEraser senses heart rate variability; helps calm mind & body. Site has good information.
- Future Health
- Rob Kall's extensive website offers tools, information and inspiration about biofeedback, QEEG, and related areas.
Temperament & Personality
- Lew Goldberg's International Personality Item Pool
- A scientific collaboratory for developing measures of personality & individual differences -- 1252 items here.
- Personality Theories
- An e-text by George Boeree at Shippensburg University: chapters on 15 personality theorists.
- Drew Westen's Lab of Personality & Psychopathology
- Dr. Westen's Lab, at Emory, explores links between personality, disorder & treatment; full-text publications available.
- Human Behavior and Evolution Society
- Home page of the society that publishes Evolution and Human Behavior (formerly Ethology and Sociobiology)
- Center for Evolutionary Psychology
- Home Page of the CEP at UCSB, with links to other places to study human evolutionary psychology.
- Wilson's Back From Chaos article
- Edward Wilson's article in the Atlantic Monthly summarizes part of his 1998 book Consilience.
- Meme Central
- Site devoted to Memes -- the invisible 'DNA' of human society, controlling aspects of mind and culture.
- Evolution and Learning Bibliography
- Several full articles (most in postscript format) on learning and evolution from the ALife Page; includes some abstracts.
- Living Links
- Frans de Waal's Center for the Advanced Study of Ape and Human Evolution at Emory.
- William Calvin's Page
- One of my favorite pages on the web ... and the one I've "borrowed" the most ideas from!
- Society for Neuroscience
- Online articles, a journal, searchable membership directory, and information on neuroscience.
- UCLA Brain Mapping Center
- Academic website offers information about tools, courses, fellowships, and related resources concerning brain mapping.
- The Whole Brain Atlas
- An excellent source of various brain images, fully clickable.
- The Enteric Nervous System
- Enteric is the third branch (with sympathetic & parasympathetic) of the Autonomic Nervous System.
- Chronic Stress Alters Synaptic Terminal Structure in Hippocampus
- Full-text 1997 article by MagariOos, Verdugo & McEwen, published in the Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA.
- Primate Handedness and Brain Lateralization
- This Indiana site describes lateralization and handedness, and shows they may be related. Includes questionnaire.
- Lateral Interactions in the Cortex
- Hypertext book edited by Sirosh, Miikkulainen, and Choe (1996). Twelve chapters on vision, structure and function.
- Visible Human Project
- Overview of the NLM's Visible Human Project, including how to get images scanning an entire human body.
- Mind-Uploading Page
- Web site focuses on the science involved in copying contents of mind for artificial storage, and related issues.
- Walter Freeman's Lab at Berkeley
- Course readings and some articles on neurobiology, chaos and the brain.
- International Consortium for Brain Mapping
- ICBM project's primary goal is continuing development of a probabilistic reference system for the human brain.
Brain Imaging Center
- Brain imaging demos and information about research groups at Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University
- Brain Poke 3.0
- A simple, humorous tool: Click to learn anatomy and explore the function of human brain structures.
- Eric H. Chudler's Home Page
- Excellent site focused on systems neuroscience, full of interesting and useful links for both adults and children.
- Neuropsychology Central
- Many links to varied resources in human neuropsychology: including assessment, images, developmental, medical, and software.
- NeuroScience Center
- A growing collection of links and information on neuroscience, some of it free.
Psychology & Cognitive Science
Websites concerned with psychology & cognitive science, testing & assessment, psychoimmunology, consciousness, and education. (See also: mental health and related support links, on the Support Page.)
- American Psychological Association
- APA's Home Page; a page on the topic of PTSD is also available.
- My APA: Member Services
- Services and benefits (email directory, PsychInfo, etc.) available for APA members
- APA Practice
- APA's Practice site includes practice-related information for psychologists, patients, and reporters.
- APA's PsycCareers
- A website (by APA) focused on psychology as a career: information for employers and job seekers.
- Association for Psychological Science
- Site for the Association for Psychological Science, formerly American Psychological Society.
- American Psychosomatic Society
- APS is "dedicated to the integration of biological, psychological and social factors in medicine."
- Psychonomic Society
- The Psychonomic Society promotes the communication of scientific research in psychology and allied sciences.
- National Directory of Psychologists
- Psychology Information's directory lists psychologists, associations & licensing boards by state.
- Pavlovian Society
- The Pavlovian Society is dedicated to scientific study of behavior & promotion of interdisciplinary scientific communication.
- Psychology Laws & Licensing Boards in Canada & the United States
- Ken Pope lists state/provincial licensing boards and laws regulating psychology, in the US and Canada.
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive
- ABCT website is concerned with applications of behavioral and cognitive sciences to human behavior
- Western Psychological Association
- WPA's website provides information about their annual meeting, archives, and a newsletter.
- Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards
- An alliance of state and provincial boards responsible for licensure or certification of psychologists in the U.S. and Canada.
- Canadian Psychological Association
- The CPA represents all aspects of psychology in Canada; their website lists fact sheets on psychological treatment.
- Australian Psychological Society
- The APS is the main psychological organization in Australia, with around 13,000 members.
- Association of Humanistic Psychology
- AHP aims to explore and heal the human mind, body and soul, while building a society of choice and creativity.
- The Brunswik Society
- Society newsletters, email list, and resources on Egon Brunswik and decidsion making research.
- Society for Psychotherapy Research
- SPR is dedicated to the scientific study of psychotherapy, and publishes Psychotherapy Research journal.
- National Institute of Mental Health
- This new site provides information about NIMH grants & contracts, publications & education programs, etc.
- American Psychiatric Association
- Home page of the American Psychiatric Association.
- American Academy for Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- The Home Page of the AACAP.
- National Association of Social Workers
- NASW Online stie includes publications, resources, news and information for social workers.
- the National Psychologist
- An independent bimonthly newspaper for practitioners: check out contents, sample articles.
- Center for the History of Psychology
- University of Akron collection includes papers of some 740 psychologists (some of
which may now be online).
- Santa Fe Institute
- SFI seeks to catalyze new collaborative, multidisciplinary projects, and break down barriers between traditional disciplines.
- International Paleopsychology Project
- Howard Bloom's IPP is mapping out the evolution of complexity, sociality, perception, and mentation.
- Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences
- SCTPLS is devoted to applications of nonlinear dynamical systems models in psychology & related fields.
Ethical Codes & Issues
- Codes of Ethics Online
- The Center for Study of Ethics in the Professions has collected the ethical codes
of various organizations on their site.
- Bioethics Resources on the Web
- This NIH site lists resources providing background information and various positions on issues in bioethics.
- Ethics Codes for Therapy, Counseling, & Forensic Practice
- From Ken Pope's website, a thorough set of links to online ethical codes for clinical psychology and related fields.
- APA Ethics Code
- American Psychological Association's current ethical principles,
with 2010 amendmnts.
- Ethical Guidelines for European Body Psychotherapists
- Ethical code of the EABP covers individual, group, supervision, and professonal relationships.
- Ethics Guidelines of the US Association for Body Psychotherapy
- Ethics guidelines of the United States Assn. for Body Psychotherapy; approved in late 2001, in PDF format.
- Ethical issues in Trauma Research
- Article by John Raftery addresses ethical issues in researching effects of traumatic events, including disasters.
- Malpractice & Licensing Pitfalls for Therapists
- A defense attorney's list of the more common pitfalls that psychotherapists may encounter, from Ken Pope's site.
- Guidelines for Psychotherapy with Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients
- Full-text APA guidelines for conducting psychotherapy with lesbian, gay or bisexual patients.
- "Lost in a Shopping Mall" - A Breach of Professional Ethics
- Full-text articles highlight ethical concerns about a study in which children were told they'd been lost.
- Dual Relationships and Other Boundary Dilemmas
- Ken Pope has gathered several resources relating to dual relationship and related ethical issues.
- On Violating the Ethical Standards
- Excerpt from Ken Pope's book lists 20 rationalizations we commonly use "to justify the unjustifiable"...
Tests & Assessment
General Test References
- Buros Institute of Mental Measurement
- Web page of reviews, links and information concerning testing and assessment, at the University of Nebraska.
- Buros Test Reviews Online
- Commercial site: offers online versions of over 2000 test reviews, published in Buro's MMY, available for a fee.
- Testing and Assessment
- The testing and assessment site at APA has information about both published & unpublished tests.
- HIPAA Test Regulations FAQ
- A FAQ discusses buying / scoring tests, & patient access to psychological test materials under HIPAA regulations.
- Rights & Responsibilities of Test Takers
- APA webpage has guidelines for testing professionals, and lists rights & expectations for test-takers.
PTSD & Trauma-Related Scales
- Somatoform Dissociation Questionnaire
- Nijenhuis, et al' SDQ scale (20 items) assesses somatoform dissociation; here in PDF format. Additional information here.
- DES Pathological
- Darryl Perry's MS-Excel spreadsheet calculates Waller's pathological dissociation taxon using eight
items from the DES.
- Structured Clinical Interview for DSM-IV: Dissociative Disorders
- SCID-D-R Resources & References, from Marlene Steinberg's website.
- Briere's Trauma Symptom Scales
- Several trauma-related checklists or scales, designed by John Briere, as listed on his website.
- Trauma Symptom Checklist 40
- John Briere's TSC-40 measures aspects of posttraumatic stress in adults; use restricted to professional researchers.
- Childhood Maltreatment Interview Schedule
- John Briere's CMIS assesses childhood maltreatment in an interview format; use restricted to professional researchers.
PSQI: Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index
- Website describes the PSQI: includes this nine-item scale,
an article, and brief scoring information, etc.
- Assessing Posttraumatic Responses of Children
- Ken Fletcher's Kid Surv newsletter lists several child-specific measures of kid's exposure and reactions to traumatic events.
Other Psychological Tests
- Stress Assessment Profile
- The Stress Profile, available through WPS, assesses psychosocial factors that can help individuals withstand daily stress.
- Carey Temperament Scales
- Catalog listing child and adult temperament scales and software from William Carey and the NYLS.
- Sampler of Riso-Hudson Enneagram Type Indicator
- Brief 36-item online scale helps find your Enneagram type; provides scores for each type.
- Project Implicit
- Harvard site is a demonstration site for the Implicit Association Test, and also the research site for Project Implicit.
- Performance Assessment Network
- PAN is a commercial "e-testing" assessment and survey system, for testing professionals.
- Institute for Personality and Ability Testing
- IPAT online offers a catalog of products and resources for students and professionals.
- Multi-Health Systems
- The MHS website online catalog of tests and other professional assessment products.
- Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.'s online test catalog.
- Pearson Assessments
- Pearson Assessments' website catalog describes scales used in mental health, medical, and career counseling.
- PNI Research Society
- Home page of the PsychoNeuroImmunology Research Society -- with information about the annual meeting.
Stress and the Immune System: The Truth about Psychoneuroimmunology
A ~90 min. YouTube lecture by Margaret Kemeny, on bi-directional
interactions among brain, behavior & immunity.
Schwarz Lab: Contemporary Neuroimmunology
- Israeli lab at the Weizmann Center focused on how circulating immune
cells shape the brain and mind.
Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology
UCLA's Counsins Center for PNI studies bi-directional interactions among
brain, behavior & immunity.
Genetics & Mental Disorders
- University of Michigan's Center for Statistical Genetics developed Merlin, which uses sparse trees to represent gene flow.
Chaos Theory / Nonlinear Dynamics
- Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology & Life Sciences
- SCTPLS provides information about the society, an annual conference, resource links, & tutorials on chaos and complexity.
- Chaos Homepage
- An introduction to chaos theory, designed for those interested in chaos: topics include strange attractors, fractals, etc.
- The Chaos Hypertextbook
- Glenn Elert's online textbook on Chaos contains well over 100 pages of information about chaos therory.
- Stephen Wolfram's 'A New Kind of Science'
- Full-text of Wolfram's text, online with search access.
- Scientist & Engineers Guide to Digital Signal Processing
- You can download individual chapters of Stephen Smith's (1997) book here.
- Dynamical Psychology
- An international, interdisciplinary journal of complex mental processes -- with full-text articles available online.
- Performance of different syncronization measures in real data: a case study on EEG
- Full-text journal article by Quiroga et al (2002) in PDF format, discusses nonlinear & other measures for detecting EEG synchronization.
- A Predator-Prey Model of Human Cerebral Development
- Robert Thatcher's (1998) full-text PDF article models synaptic growth & pruning via nonlinear dynamics of frontal-posterior competition.
- Sprott's Software
- A web collection of commercial computer software, animated fractal images, attractors, & other chaos-relevant information.
- Chaos &
- This page highlights some aspects in the field of chaos.
- Center for Consciousness Studies at U of Arizona
- Site includes link to the current "Towards a Science of Consciousness" conference at Tucson (in April).
- Mental Metaphor Databank
- This databank mainly contains real-discourse examples of metaphorical descriptions of mental states and processes.
- Global Consciousness Project
- Princeton's GCP network monitors non-local field effects, and is the home of a cool Real-Time Java Display.
- David Chalmer's Home Page
- David Chalmers is at ANU and NYU; his site includes over 170 online papers on consciousness issues.
- Stuart Hameroff's Home Page
- Home page of Stuart Hameroff; includes papers on the relevance of quantum physics for understanding consciousness.
- Teachers of Psychology in Secondary Schools
- A website at APA for those teaching psychology in high schools.
- Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma
- A program at Columbia University helping journalists how to interview and write about trauma victims.
- Behavior OnLine
- This extensive site includes interviews with prominent psychologists, and online discussions covering behavioral topics.
- Alley Dog
- A resource for college-level students, high school students, or anyone else interested in Psychology.
- Psychology With Style
- A hypertext guide to writing research reports, from M. Plonsky at UWisc - Stevens Point.
- Scholar's Aid
- Software manages bibliographical data & notes; transfers reference lists to your word-processor.
- Effective Presentations
- Several on-line tutorials at Kansas University can help prepare more effective conference presentations and posters.
- ERIC Clearinghouse on Assessment and Evaluation
- ERIC is Educational Resources Information Center, at Catholic University. Much educational information here.
- The Counseling Center Villiage
- A collection of websites and other web resources created by college or university counseling centers around the world.
Psych Related Resource Links
- John Grohol's Psych Central
- Psychology-related USENET groups, mail lists, and WWW sites. Includes John's "Best of the Web in Mental Health" list.
- Russ Dewey's Psych Web
- A page originally from Georgia Southern University, with lots of Psychology-related links.
- The Psychology Directory site categorizes links to various topics in psychology: for professionals, students & the general public.
- Social Psychology Network
- Comprehensive internet source of social psychology-related information and resources.
- Listening Perspectives Study Center
- Dr. Larry Hedges' website offers a variety of psychological and psychoanalytic information and resources.
Research-related links focused on research design, statistics, web data & software archives, scholarly web publishing (online books and journals), and sources of grant funding.
Research Methods & Design
- Analysis of Behavioral Streams
- Bakeman (et al) chapter on observational methods, in Teti (Ed.) Handbook of Research Methods in Developmental Psychology.
- Methods in Behavioral Research
- Website companion for this 14 chapter text, selected to enhance learning about or teaching research methods.
- Choosing & Using Child Victimization Questionnaires
- Full-text article by Sherry Hambey & David Finkelhor includes guidelines for selecting victimization questionnaires.
- SurveyMonkey's purpose: to enable anyone to create professional online surveys quickly and easily.
- Qualitative Methods Workbook
- A five-part e-text by George Boeree at Shippensburg on phenomenological description and related qualitative approaches.
- Qualitative Research Resources
- Ron Chenail's web collection of internet resources of interest to qualitative researchers.
- WWW Virtual Library: Epidemiology
- Part of the WWW's Virtual Library, listing organizations, academic departments, etc. concerned with epidemiology.
- Logical Fallacies in Psychology
- Ken Pope describes eighteen logical fallacies, with examples relevant to psychology.
- Why I Do Not Attend Case Conferences
- A PDF version of Paul Meehl's (1973) article: "Why I do not attend Case Conferences", from his website at Minnesota.
- Characterization of Quack Theories
- Article by Russell Turpin, describing characteristics of what he views as "quack" or anti-scientific theories.
- Joint Time-Frequency Analysis (JTFA)
- An overview of JTFA, from the National Instruments website.
- Globally Accessible Statistical Procedures
- This cool GASP site makes statistical routines easily accessible on the internet. Just chose a routine and enter data.
- Electronic Statistics Textbook
- Statsoft's online statistics texbook: can be searched, read online, or downloaded to your computer's hard disk.
- JPS Rasch Analysis Homepage
- Jean Piaget Society's Canadian site, with detailed information about Rasch Analysis.
- Chance News
- Searchable database of news articles for an introductory course in probability & statistics in daily life.
- Research Randomizer
- Website (was at Weslyan University) hosts a pseudo-random number generator for researchers.
- Institute for Statistics
- Web site provide courses and information about various
statistical methods and procedures.
- Statistical Analysis & Measurement Consultants
- Statisticians offering professional statistical analysis and expert consultation for all types of research.
- SPR software repository
- Society for Psychophysiological Research: free software for psychophysiological science.
- National Instruments
- National Instruments, a major contributor to the development of JTFA procedures, makes LabVIEW.
- The R Project
- R is an Open Source language and environment for statistical computing and graphics. R is available as Free Software.
- TISEAN: Nonlinear Time Series Analysis
- TISEAN is time-series analysis software, using methods based on the theory of nonlinear deterministic dynamical systems.
- Home page of the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS),
now owned by IBM.
- Raynald's SPSS Tools
- Useful code & techniques to increase productivity of SPSS: 350+ sample syntax, macros & scripts written by the webmaster.
- Provalis Research:
- A variety of statistical software packages, including SIMSTAT,
QDA-Miner, WORDSTAT, and PROSUITE.
- Meta Analysis
- Comprehensive Meta Analysis is a statistical analysis software package for research synthesis.
- Power & Precision
- Power & Precision is a stand-alone statistical analysis software package used to calculate the sample size for a planned study.
- Number Cruncher Statistical System
- Commercial site sells NCSS and Power and Sample Size software; shareware files and a demo version are also available.
Archives on the web can hold large amounts of useful stuff. The two lists below will connect you to archives housing software, and social science datasets that may prove valuable in research.
- Shrinktank BBS Archive
- Archive of testing software of interest to psychologists, at the California Shrinktank BBS' web site.
- StatLib Index
- A web site at Carnegie Mellon for statistical software, also has many interesting data archives.
- CNET Downloads
- Worldwide distribution network for Windows shareware, freeware, and public domain software.
- As "The Ultimate Collection Of Winsock Software", TUCOWS allows shareware downloads.
Several of the social science archives below include data relevant to traumatic-stress and PTSD, but please let me know if I've overlooked any pertinent sites. Also, I'd be very happy to hear from trauma or disaster researchers willing to allow links to their data archives.
- National Data Archive on Child Abuse and Neglect
- This archive aims to facilitate secondary analyses of data relevant to the study of child abuse and neglect.
- US Census Bureau
- Home page of the US Census Bureau at the Department of Commerce, with links to available demographic data.
- PhysioNet at MIT
- An extensive research resource for recorded complex physiologic signals & related software.
- CDC Wonder
- Center for Disease Control's access site contains CDC guidelines and reports, and permits searches of public health datasets.
- State Health Facts Online
- From the Kaiser Family Foundation, this site contains current state-level data on demographics, health, and health policy, etc.
- Site offers highlights of current polling data: an independent, nonpartisan resource on trends in American public opinion.
- Wisconsin's DPLS Data Archive
- Searchable data archive at the University of Wisconsin's Data and Program Library Service.
- ICPSR Social Science Data Archive
- This data archive from ISR (at University of Michigan) is only available to member universities.
- Data and Story Library
- An online collection of datafiles and stories that illustrate basic statistical methods.
Health, Medicine & Medications
Medical and prescription medication sites, and several medical search engines.
General Medical Reference
- The Cochrane Collaboration
- Search Cochrane Reviews (abstracts are available free) covering a wide range of healthcare topics.
- Anatomia Collection of Anatomical Plates
- University of Toronto's collection features ~4500 plates and illustrations of human anatomy.
- Historical Anatomies on the Web
- Anatomical images from atlases in the US National Library of Medicine.
- Gray's Anatomy of the Human Body
- This online version of the 1918 classic publication has 1,247 engravings -- many in color.
- US National Library of Medicine
- The NLM site leads to many resources about health and medical research, grants and publications.
- National Institute of Health
- Home page of the NIH; includes a local search engine to help you find resources on health, grants, and science.
- eMedicine World Medical Library
- eMedicine.com says they publish the worldpis largest online, current medical reference; some information for PDAs.
- A consumer health and human services information web site from the US government.
- Nursing World
- American Nurses Association website: books, related associations, and online journal.
(newer) Gene Map of the Human Genome
- Keep up with progress on the human genetic transcript map, updated at this NIH web site.
- Human Genome Project Gateway
- Explore this site for information about several U.S. Department of Energy Genome projects.
- Virtual Hospital
- The Virtual Hospital site offers much medical information of interest to patients and healthcare providers.
- The Merck Manuals
- Online versions of several Merck Manuals, provided as an educational and informational resource.
- Website of an online, healthcare media publishing company, offering authoritative medical information for consumers.
- The Medical Algorithms Company
- A collection of computations, formulae, surveys & look-up tables, organized into
Medical (Physical) Diseases
- Diseases and Conditions
- WebMD's site provides information about diseases & conditions, broadly grouped into a couple dozen categories.
- 1Up Health
- 1 Up Health's website lists diseasses and conditions, and has a useful section of current health news, etc.
- Blood Pressure / Hypertension
- Lots of information here on blood pressure, as well as books & products that may be helpful.
- Handbook for Patients with Dysautonomias
- National Dysautonomia Research Foundation's Handbook for Patients with Dysautonomias (in PDF format).
- Mayo Clinic's Health Oasis
- Mayo Clinic's searchable site includes resource areas. News on diseases, treatment, drugs, and diet.
Medical Treatments & Clinical Trials
- MedGadget: emerging medical technologies
- Med Gadget's site lists and briefly describes new medical devices; archives searchable by specialty or date.
- National Guideline Clearinghouse
- View and search treatment guidelines for a variety of physical and mental disorders.
- PT Central
- A Physical Therapy site, with information useful for students, clinicians, and consumers.
- National Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- The NCCAM site supports research and disseminates information on complementary or alternative medicine.
- This site provides descriptive links to a variety of traditional oriental therapies, and related resources.
- Site provides patients, family members, and the public current information about clinical research (by condition, etc.).
- CenterWatch: Clinical Trials Listing Service
- An international listing of clinical research projects seeking patients with specific medical and psychiatric disorders.
Medical Site Indexes & Search Engines
- TRIP Database
- Search the TRIP Database for guides to evidence-based medical practice for various disorders.
- Martindale's Health Sciences Guide
- Very useful and extensive listing of medically-related links and information in diverse fields.
- All Nurses.com
- The internet's nursing index, home of Nurse-zine, and local nursing search engine.
- Growth House Search
- Browse death/dying/hospice/grief categories at the Growth House database.